Friday, February 5, 2010

Diamond Valley Lake Half Marathon Take 2

The first date scheduled for the race was canceled for "rain." It was a crisp and clear that day! The reschedule day was really rainy, but I guess the organizers felt they could not change it yet again. I have ran in the rain a time or two, on the street though. This was an entirely different story! It was not only pouring rain, but it was extremely windy, causing the rain to be pelted against your body. The dirt path for the race was totally flooded. Some areas 2-3 inches deep. My pants became weighted down with rain and began to drag and get caught in the sludgy mud. So I ran the entire 13.1 with pelting rain, high winds, super cold temps, dragging heavy pants, and soggy shoes. And it was hard but exhilarating. And I might even do it again. In some ways I felt more accomplished than the marathon even. I felt like a true athlete!







I met Karen at the gym and we train together regularly. I love having good conversations on those long training runs!



Even with the rain, I beat my goal! 18th finisher and did an 8:48 pace!





I like to remember the little details. Like my nasty, wet socks.



And my water-logged feet!


No comments: