Friday, May 8, 2009

Just for Fun

I know I am all marathon all the time, but c'mon... it's right around the corner and my emotions are running all ends of quite a broad spectrum. As I was registering us for the race (and reluctantly hitting the "pay" button to give them $128 dollars so I can be in pain) I got to thinking about how much this race is costing. Since Eric and I are both doing it, it can be multiplied times two.

Training began February... mid sometime.

After the half-marathon in Jan, it became clear to me that I would need an hydration belt.
$45.00

Each run over 10 miles needs Gu...
Approximately 40 Gus have been choked down.... @ $1.25... that's
$50

New Shoes are necessary...Brooks Trance Shoes
$140

But these gave me really bad blisters while breaking in... so I had to buy wicking socks...2 pr at $10 each...
$20

...and then I bought a pair of Aasics Gel Kayanos on clearnace
$35.00!

...which sent me into blister overdrive... causing me to need special blister pads... which are $7 a box. I am on my third box.
$21

And then came the heat...which causes chaffing. Now I need Glide.
$5

And some Gatorade and other performance-enhancing drink mixes.
$10

And now I am having some issues with my belt. So I get another one on clearance...
$15

And I have finally decided a Garmin is absolutely necessary...
$160

... and everyone keeps saying we need to be taking protein! How can you not be taking protein? Protein...
$20

which reminds me of the other stuff I take to keep me running. i.e. glucosamine & chondroitin & ibuprofin beofre each run...
$25

Oh... let's not forget the Sports Beans from Jelly Belly (yummy)
$10

Running wear...this is just an estimate over the last few months...
$50

Marathon registration fees
$128

Hotel for one night so we can run this thing which starts blissfully early at 6:30 am...
$110

As I am tallying up my totals, I am really regretting this. Ignorance is bliss... well it was anyway!

Total for me!! $844

Well, as the weeks are wearing on, I am finding myself feeling much better. My feet are just a few weeks away from looking human again and my legs are finally getting used to the overuse and are rarely sore. next time (did I really just type that.... really???) I think will be much less. Well... lets hope it was worth it. We'll find out in about 22 days!

4 comments:

The six of us! said...

You are sooo brave to endure this. I have no such motivation for marathons, my knees like to dictate that one : (. But I hear once you do one your hooked. No to mention how little by little it all adds up. Good luck!!!!

.:Heather:. said...

Good for you Kristen!

The bragging rights & personal pride you will feel after 26.2 miles: Priceless

:)

I'm impressed!

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow, you've been through a lot to get this far. You will so proud of yourself when you are done, even if it did cost a lot :-) Good luck!

Kammy said...

Is the marathon for something? Like to raise awareness for ____ cause if so, your last line of the blog should be "knowing my running will make a difference in the lives of those living with _____, Priceless"

Sorry, I have a tendency to see Mastercard commercials in most instances :O) Good luck on your marathon!