I like to grab a grocery store rotisserie chicken every once in a while. It's late, you need to get something quick and easy... you know the drill. Well, during a recent trip to Walmart, I saw the chickens pre rotisserie and I was really grossed out. They were just hanging out in the open Walmart air! Anyway... I was a little grossed out and so I looked to some of my favorite cooking blogs for an alternate recipe. I found on on the 365 Days of Crock Potting Blog. I have tried a few of her recipes and not loved them (maybe it was just the ones I tried... or me???) but this was really good!! I also skinned my whole chicken because skin is just gross. And so fatty. I rubbed the bird with a tsp or so of olive oil.
--2 tsp kosher salt
--1 tsp paprika
--1 tsp onion powder
--1/2 tsp dried thyme
--1 tsp Italian seasoning
--1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
--1/2 tsp black pepper
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)
I stuffed one whole onion in the cavity because that's what I had on hand. I prepped it at about 10:30 pm and cooked it on low overnight. I turned it off at about 6:30, let it sit, and then shredded it. I froze the meat since we were going out of town so I will have it ready later for burritos or salad, or whatever. I liked that without the skin, the meat had the flavor and I wasn't chucking all the flavor away with the skin. I also got a bonus that I don't get with the grocery store chicken... almost a whole cup of stock! Which I wasn't really expecting since you do not add water to the crockpot. (This was hard for me. I really felt I needed to add the water!) This is good and easy and cheap if the chickens are on sale as they often are. Enjoy!
--2 tsp kosher salt
--1 tsp paprika
--1 tsp onion powder
--1/2 tsp dried thyme
--1 tsp Italian seasoning
--1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
--1/2 tsp black pepper
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)
I stuffed one whole onion in the cavity because that's what I had on hand. I prepped it at about 10:30 pm and cooked it on low overnight. I turned it off at about 6:30, let it sit, and then shredded it. I froze the meat since we were going out of town so I will have it ready later for burritos or salad, or whatever. I liked that without the skin, the meat had the flavor and I wasn't chucking all the flavor away with the skin. I also got a bonus that I don't get with the grocery store chicken... almost a whole cup of stock! Which I wasn't really expecting since you do not add water to the crockpot. (This was hard for me. I really felt I needed to add the water!) This is good and easy and cheap if the chickens are on sale as they often are. Enjoy!
2 comments:
I have also made a chicken in the crockpot. My recipe called for putting it on balls of foil on the bottom of the crock pot. It was so good and juicy!
interesting - i'll have to check out that website
Post a Comment