I am pretty good with our morning routine although the kids would offer another analysis. They consistently accuse me of "rushing" in the morning. This rushing all pretty much takes place in the last 5 minutes before needing to leave for anywhere. "At some point," I tell them, "we will actually have to get our shoes on, gather our things, and get into the car." This is the rush-y part.
But as I mentioned, I have a pretty good handle on our mornings.
However the morning is NOTHING about me. I don't get dressed, eat, drink, nothing.
So I dropped the kids off at school last Wednesday morning and was headed back home to tackle the tasks that awaited me. I was about 5 minutes away from the school when Halle calls me and tells me to come back. It's the honor roll assembly today. In 15 minutes. Come on back! I am not that vain of a person. No make-up and bad hair would ever win over breaking my poor kids little heart. But I have a hygiene and decency code too. No bra, no make-up, no hair done, no contacts... it was all bad. Plus the baby had been left at home with my mom and needed food. I had to keep driving. But I could hear the sadness in her voice as I explained to her that I may not make it. And even though she was "at fault" for not telling me about the assembly, I felt a pang of guilt. So I decided I would be supermom! Dash home. Grab the undergarments and clothes I was lacking. And a hat. And the baby. And off I went. Racing to at least catch the last minute. But we didn't. It was over.
We went over to her classroom anyway to give out congratulations and chocolate. There were no smiles until the chocolate bar appeared. Then all was right in the world.
Halle is forever working hard in school. Silver Honor Roll for this trimester (one pesky B) and soaring...
1 comment:
Congrats to Halle!! Kristen, I loved this post! I could totally hear your voice saying all this! You are a Rockstar mama & your kids are soooo lucky to have you!
Post a Comment