Tuesday, July 28, 2009

For my salmon loving friends...

I have been trying to incorporate some new, healthy recipes to me repertoire and have been striking out. That is, until I tried this wonderful salmon recipe. It is quick and easy and the salsa is amazing!!! I have made this a couple of times and have even altered the salsa a bit (based in what ingredients I had in the fridge) and it still turned out so yummy! Here's the recipe (from Fitness magazine)


Salmon with Blueberry-Mango Salsa
Makes: 4 servings Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
1/3 cup blueberries


1/3 cup peeled, diced mango


2 tablespoons minced red onion


2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper


1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro


1 tablespoon fresh lime juice


1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper


2 teaspoons sugar or


1/4 teaspoon sea salt


1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil


4 4-ounce salmon fillets


Pinch each of sea salt and ground pepper
1. Combine blueberries, mango, onion, pepper, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, sugar or cane juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Lightly crush with a fork to release the juices. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and sear for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until just cooked through. (I like to Broil... rub w/ oil, squirt on the juice of 1 lemon and season with the salt and pepper and broil on high (varied time depending on thickness) but it cooks up really quickly
3. Serve fillets with salsa.



Nutrition facts per serving: 205 calories, 19g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 11g fat (2g saturated), 1g fiber

No comments: