Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple Picking



This was one of our great many adventures! We left in the morning to go to Oak Glenn to do some apple picking with our Meetup friends. We decided to try out Snowline this year becuase I had heard they had apple cider donuts and that just sounded fabulous! (Read: they are and you have to go get some!!)


While waiting in the parking lot a bee stung me in the armpit! It hurt!! We went inside to learn that they don't have a u-pick program there and so there will be no apple picking on this apple picking trip. So we comforted ourselves with fresh cider and cider donuts. Yum! I also discovered an apple type that I love: Honey Crisp.




We thought maybe Riley's Farm was allowing apple picking so we traveled down the road a ways to check it out. We found out that they had pear picking so we decided this would do. We treked up the hill to the pear trees. There were lots of them, but all the lower fruit had been picked and the fallen fruit was swarming with bees... millions of them. The kids were scared because my earlier stinging incident and too scared to get near the trees. Ironically no one was stung where there were thousands of bees.

the little boys trying to knock the fruit down with sticks!

Jenny and I were determined to pick fruit though. We tried hauling a bale of hay to stand on (not very effective and very heavy) and then we found an old farm chair (rickety and the fruit fell and hit Jenny in the face while she was holding the chair for me). Then Jenny spotted the pickers!! And then we were able to fill out bag with fruit! The pears were small but very tasty! We made a pear crisp the next week and it was delicious!!






Thanks for sharing our adventure with us Jenny and Brody!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

How fun! I've wanted to do this for a few years but I thought now we should wait til Daniel's a little older. Honey crisp is seriously the best, isn't it???